Misadventures of

Friday, April 21, 2006

Uncle Bob. . .

Several years ago a guy named Dennis wrote a book called Guide. There were several passages that included lyrics from a band called Guided by Voices. In my mind's eye I imagined a far more cerebral band. I picked up Mag Earwig! based solely on the cover art as there are quite a few albums available in the store. The band really rocked. I fell in love. Their execution of short, riff driven songs was really impressive before you consider the depth and complexity of the lyrics.

As I dug deeper I came across the truly compelling story of Robert Pollard, the singer and primary songwriter for the band. A schoolteacher for over 10 years, he nurtured the band to "semi-fame" as some have described it as he toured each summer.

Still none of this still could prepare me for what the live show was like. I saw Pollard first in 2002 when he was still touring as Guided by Voices in support of Isolation Drills. The raw energy and showmanship takes the band to another level. Now at 48 years old Uncle BOB has not lost a step.

Last night we got there late. The train from Williamsburg literally just stopped running for over an hour just as I got there. It is among the greatest hardships of the hipster class along with finding boys sized jeans long enough to fit that can still show off their total lack of any ass. The girl at the door at the show told us they were three songs in. We found a nice spot by the recycling bin. It turned out to be a great location because the bus boy was seriously hot. Incredibly every song was better than the one before. He started off with several songs off his the new albums, From a Compound Eye and Normal Happiness. Decent tight songs that the band seemed to know well. Within ½ hour into the set he was doing songs from Mag Earwig!, Alien Lanes and other albums in between. There was no drop off with the older stuff as is sometimes the case with bands who get to smitten with their new material (Belle and Sebastian). A little strut and a swing of the mic and the crowd went crazy.

Pollard: "That's my Robert Plant move . . . you haven't seen that yet tonight!"

The intensity of the show grew with each song. My friends (both newbies) and I could not keep up the drinking pace that Pollard had set, but we tried. The guy takes about 2 chugs per beer and an hour into the show he was drinking some sort of brown liquor (Cuervo I think). The crowd cheered in respect.

Pollard: "There is nothing like approval and ice cold beer!"

We switched from beer to Wild Turkey at this point. Our generosity in tipping came back to us in spades as the bartender poured 3 very large whiskeys.

Pollard Salutes.

The band was tight. I am pretty sure I recognized one of the guys from the last incarnation of Guided by Voices. He was the only other guy on the stage not young enough to be Pollard's son. I don't love the venue (Irving Plaza) but the room really worked for Pollard. Surprisingly I didn't need the earplugs I brought. The band's intensity came from musicianship and shear finesse not by brute force.

He finished off the set with a son called 50 year old baby.

Pollard: "The song is not about me cause I'm only 48!"

From my perch by the recycle bin I was able to start a chant of "Uncle Bob" to entice our hero back to the stage.

Things start getting fuzzy from here on in as we felt obliged to have more whiskey during the break. I just had to go right into the center – driven to dance.

Pollard: "....and wear my Maroon Blazer all the time."

I don't remember how I got home. I know it wasn't the L train.

Next week: The Secret Machines.

PS. Dennis, pick up “Now here is Nowhere” by The Secret Machines (it might also still stream on their website). This band is not about introspection. They come to rock you.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    man brooklyn serpico.. this journal is really terrific.. keep doing this.. sometimes i wish elliott smith were prettier so i could feel even worse when i listen to him.. isnt that the most evil thing to say ever?? duder, you make me wanna listen to him RIGHT NOW... ohmygod.... and i think. i will.

     
  • At 1:57 AM, Blogger thomas said…

    Great show report! wish i could have been there...

    I've seen GBV a few times at Irving Plaza actually, there's something about that venue and the enthusiastic NYC crowd that always worked very well...some very good memories of that place, and the Shades of Green bar around the corner ;-)

    You probably mean Tommy Keene, there's no former GBV members in that new band, apart from Bob.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger David Saä V. Estornell said…

    Amen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home